Meditation can help us understand why our bodies have taken on the appearance they have. We tend to get so busy doing all those things that keep us moving through life that we do not stop to listen to the signals our bodies are sending out to us. Sometimes we have been ignoring our bodies for so long, that when we finally listen, they seem to be screaming at us and inundate us with information. If this should happen, simply ask your body to slow down so you are not overwhelmed.
Eastern -vs- Western Meditation
Eastern Meditation uses meditation as a means of contemplating the Divine. Western Meditation recognizes seeks direct communication with the Divine.
Practical Application of Meditation
This meditation technique will provide you with a tool to listen to what your body has been trying to tell you. It will help you take the time to ask your body what it has been trying to tell you and to listen for the answers.
- Set-aside all preconceived ideas and judgments about your body.
- Enter a meditative state in whatever manner you choose.
- When you have reached a meditative state, ask your body what it most wants to impart to you about the way you appear.
- Ask your body to give you information about how your body managed to appear this way – the reason it is manifesting this appearance.
- Ask your body what it would like you to do. The answer can range from seeing a doctor to changing your dietary habits to changing your hygiene to changing your exercise routine to checking for environmental pollutants. Be open to whatever the answer is.
- With the information your body is giving you, what do you see as your next steps?
- Thank your body for serving you in the manner it has.
Rev. Dr. Laura Thornberry is the author of this Blog. She has decades of experience teaching people techniques to learn to meditate and then using that as a foundation for exploring their own potential and abilities. She has gathered twenty of her favorite techniques into a book, workbook, CD and crystal set so that more people can discover the simplicity and power of meditation: Meditation for the Western World: De-Mystifying Mediation.